the Southern Railroad offered passenger service from Norfolk to Danville in 1899, over the leased Atlantic and Danville Railway tracks
Source: Library of Congress, Chronicling America, Virginian-Pilot (p.9, December 23, 1899)
The Southern Railway was created by J. P. Morgan in 1894. After the financial "panic" (recession) a year earlier, he acquired control of multiple separate railroads and assembled them into a rationalized network of track. The Southern was the dominant railroad in its region.
The Southern Railway was organized in 1894, as J.P. Morgan reorganized the Richmond and West Point Terminal Railway and Warehouse Company. That holding company controlled the Richmond and Danville Railroad, which had control over the Virginia Midland Railway and the Richmond and West Point Railroad.
The Southern Railway became a "fallen flag" railroad on June 1, 1982. It was merged with the Norfolk and Western Railway to create the Norfolk Southern Railway, a part of Norfolk Southern Corporation.1
the depot in Keysville was built inside the junction of the tracks of the Richmond and Danville and the Richmond and Mecklenburg railroads
Source: US Geological Survey (USGS), Farmville VA 1:125,000 topographic quadrangle (1893)
in 2020, the rehabilitated depot was being used an the office of the Southside Messenger newspaper
the Southern Railway maintained its line to West Point, after establishing access to wharves on the Elizabeth River
Source: US Geological Survey (USGS), King William 1:62,500 scale topographic quadrangle (1920)
the Southern Railway had its own station in Richmond, near to but separate from the Main Street Station of the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad and Seaboard Air Line
Source: Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU), Southern Railway Depot, (14th and Cary Sts.,) Richmond, Va. (1912)