land patents acquired in the 1740's on the Little Calfpasture River and Calfpasture River, showing selection of flat bottomland good for farming rather than steep hillsides
Source: Library of Congress, Colonial land patents and grantees: Calfpasture Rivers, Augusta County, Virginia (by Meredith Leitch, 1947)
In 1745, the governor and Council of State granted 100,000 acres to James Patton. He had to select lands that were not within the boundaries of the area claimed by Lord Fairfax, Benjamin Borden, or William Beverley.
Patton located many of his lands on the New River, but some surveys were completed on the Calfpasture River west of the Beverley Manor grant and the Borden Grant ("Irish Tract").